Curse of the Azure Bonds – build 1.1.3 released

Version 1.1.3 of Curse of the Azure Bonds is now up on the Google Code project site (Windows & Mac OS X builds).

I had managed to break a number of parts of the game that were working correctly due to “refactoring” the code. Not sure I’ve learn my lesson, but there are a good many issues introduced, of which not all are fixed yet.

Fixed in this version:

  • Issue 54, Fixed join items command, to not loose items
  • Issue 55, Fixed crash from readying items from wrong class
  • Issue 56, Fixed pooling of party money loosing gems and jewellery
  • Issue 61, Fixed the group view display of AC
  • Fixed colouring of sprites, missing black pixels
  • Fixed sharing not removing treasure from ground

Thanks to Manning and Chaney for providing issue reports, and as always any issues found, post them here in the comments, email me directly (, or post on the issue list.



manikus 2010-08-04 19:00:13

thanks for the update. I’ve downloaded this version and will start trying it out tonight.

Colin Mitchell 2010-08-10 12:54:05

Just curious, have you tried it out on Linux at all? I grabbed the code and although it compiles, I didn’t get too far otherwise.

Simeon 2010-08-11 07:55:29

No I haven’t. I assumed that because it works via mono on my Mac, that it would run fine under mono on Linux also. I may have to download a distro VM to test this out. To test you could pull down the Mac “release” which is just a tar.gz, and go into the Curse of the Azure dir, etc

Stu 2010-08-14 19:12:34

I opened the solution under MonoDevelop (linux x64) and it throws a nice log file immediately. I need to dig a bit deeper if I have time, but it does not even remotely start.
I get a box (I guess its 320x200 or 640x400) and a dialogue to contact you :)

Colin Mitchell 2010-08-14 19:37:08

I had similar problems with MonoDevelop, so I tried running the OSX version. I went through a few steps, had to hardcode some paths in the startup script. I needed to rename a couple DLL files because the case was wrong for Linux. Then I get a crash log with this output:

Curse of the Azure Bonds 1.1.3
8/14/2010 8:33:56 PM
Unhandled exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file “/home/colin/downloads/Curse of the Azure”.

Then, if I rename the file ‘Resources/items’ to ‘Resources/ITEMS’ it actually seems to work. I was able to create a character, add them to a party, and start adventuring. Sweet!

If you’d like help packaging it for Linux, I can probably assist with that. I’m no expert but I’ve built a couple debs and RPMs.

Simeon 2010-08-14 20:02:56

Hmm, case sensitive files operations… the blessings/curse of DOS/Windows….

Not even sure on the ‘right’ way to bundle a Linux version, my ‘plan’ was to make a tar bundle that should just work. With a shell script to run mono, and have all the resources in the same directory. Pretty much how the original dos game worked. If there are file names case problems, it might be easier to change the code to use the same case as the current files in subversion.

But if there is some bundle of artefacts that I could just tweak (put new .dll’s .exe into), to give a working Linux bundle that would be awesome to be given on a silver platter…