On the Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures Forum it was asked for the ‘The Gods intervene!’ cheats for all the Gold Box based games, so I produced this list.
Pool of Radiance Forgotten Realms series:
- Pool of Radiance cheat code is ‘start.exe STING’
- Curse of the Azure Bonds cheat code is ‘start.exe STING Wooden’ as noted here
- Secrets of the Silver Blade cheat code is ‘start.exe Hoop Gem’ as noted here
- Pools of Darkness cheat code is ‘game.exe 2 2 Helm’ as noted here
- FRUA doesn’t seem to have obvious cheat code. aka not based on PoR code
Savage Frontier Forgotten Realms series:
- Gateway to the Savage Frontier currently needs a hacked executable (here) and then ‘game.exe Super Wooden’ press the Z button on your turn and ‘-‘ on the monsters
- Treasure of the Savage Frontier ‘game.exe 2 2 Helm’
- Champions of Krynn cheat code is ‘start.exe Woof Helm’
- Death Knights of Krynn cheat code is ‘start.exe anything Helm’
- Dark Queen of Krynn appears the same code as FRUA so again not sure.
The two Buck Rogers game are using the PoR code base, but all the normal cheat code has been removed. And there is no obvious “Gods intervene!” in the text strings of the engine
Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace is a different code base, the previous games PoR based code bases are Pascal where as this one is C/C++, I couldn’t see anything that looks like a “Gods intervene” text string ether.
There are a few debugging/testing cheat codes for the DOS version of Pools of Darkness.
The first: adding a 1 as the first parameter skips the title screen, and copy protection.
Then there are three choices of third parameter
- Gem – Allows view of the area map in all locations
- HALIBUT – Allows editing/modifying of experienced players
- Helm – Allows ‘The GODS Intervene!’ – a.k.a. kills all enemy in combat, via alt-x
Thus to play the latter you would type
game.exe 1 2 Helm
What I don’t know yet is how to control what game is loaded if you use the 1 parameter, and the game ends up in a slightly unplayable mode. From reading the code it looks like it should load saved game Z. But that’s not working out for me so far.
Here is a list of the cheats I’ve found so far in Curse of the Azure Bonds.
Adding STING to the command line (first parameter) will:
- Skip the Title screen
- Allow toggling debug mode, press CTRL+D. Output is put in the DEBUG.txt file. While in debug mode:
- Each executed Byte Code is logged to the debug file
- Press CTRL+Z to dump the affects that each party member has
- Press CTRL+C to exit the game straight away
Adding Wooden to the command line (second parameter) will allow you to:
- Display the area map in all areas
- Skip the copy protection, so you don’t need the code wheel, not that it matters as most abandon ware sites have the cracked version.
- Turn on “Free Training” when in a trainer, press J. This means:
- You don’t pay the 1000 gold pieces
- You don’t need to have the required EXP to train
- Your character doesn’t need to be conscious
- Training centers will train all classes
- You will be given the required EXP to be the level you have just trained for
- Pressing Alt-x or ‘-‘ (minus) in combat will cause “The Gods intervene!” and kill all enemies
Thus you would type “start.exe STING Wooden” at the DOS prompt.
I hope this helps someone may be stuck in the game.
Edit: Here’s a video showing these cheats in action.