How to make your WordPress Theme wider

Here’s the steps to make your WordPress default (Kubrick) theme wider.

For me I made it 200 pixels wider.

So for functions.php add 200 to each of the highlighted rows

In rtl.css add 200 also

In style.css add 200 to all but the #commentform input which I added only 100

Then images\header-img.php add 200 to each value

Lastly make the following pictures 200 pixels wider images\kubrickbgwide.jpg, images\kubrickfooter.jpg and images\kubrickheader.jpg

I did this in Paint.Net by creating a new picture the same size as each one, pasting in the picture left justified then cutting from the source image the right 60% of the image and pasting that over the right edge of the picture giving a wider final picture.

Zoom helped for aligning the pictures. Also be careful when you export the pictures as the compression settings have a lot of effect of size of the images.

Composite UI Application Block

We have just finished watching the Composite UI Application Block webcast from the August MSDN Webcast DVD (which could be a CD with its 180MB of data on it). I have to give big kudos to the patterns & practices team, it’s a really cool piece of work.

I’ve been struggling with idea of how to refactor the application we have here at work, with the compartmentalized MVC system, and support for plug-ins and how these would all tie together. Oh the joy of spending my home time dreaming up methods to improve my work efforts, or how I’d do it if I had to start again. Now I can stop trying to solve the problem, and wait to use the CAB when it’s released, and we move to .Net 2.0

IMGUI Design

I’ve been reading Book of Hook for a while now, and a few weeks ago on the Game Development forum he posted a link to his friends site Molly Rocket where Casey had a cool video of his immediate mode graphical user interface. Having been spending the last few weeks bashing me head against gotcha’s in RMGUI’s (.Net Winforms) I could see the value in building UI’s this way. Not for apps like we have here at work, but for real-time stuff it makes a lot of sense. So anyway, it helped me by putting some names to idea’s that were in my head, and describe different ways of doing stuff. It also allowed to see area’s where our current code could have issues, due to the nature of the UI model.

All-in-all very much the classic way stuff was done in the old days before windows, but cool to pull it back off the self to see where it’s still applicable to modem development.