3 Hours Down Time due to Hosting Server Upgrade

For the 12 people trying to view the blog, my apologies. My Hosting Service upgraded the back-end database, and the support people took three hours (normal business hours) to tell me to re-apply the passwords to the DB.

[Edit]To be fair, they inform me they were discovering the solution with another customer, which I have no problem with. I was just feeling a little out in the dark about the process of resolution. But really when there’s a fire, you just put the thing out, and its over now…

But were back in action now. So back to work.

Don’t leave development firmware on you camera…

It shouldn’t need to be said, but “Don’t leave development firmware on you camera” in late December I was trying to fix the Lossless NEF file corruption problem on my D5100. I loaded a firmware, found it didn’t fix the problem, and then went back to studying the code. I few hours later, as a family we went off to a New Years eve party, and I picked up my camera, and snapped some real keepers.

Next day, I plugged the SD card in and found that Lightroom was

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo.

Arrg.

There is a good example of how to pull the preview jpeg’s, but when I did that, the preview pictures were 570×375, and thus not worth keeping, so some reading of the help file and this command pulled the embedded 4928×3264 jpegs.

exiftool.exe -b -JpgFromRaw -w _jpgfromraw.jpg -ext nef -r .

Which is better sized albeit a little over compressed. But better than nothing.

Now to solve the lossless NEF problem once and for all, and try resolve if the raw files can truly be recovered…