Nikon D5100 Video Record Time Limit Found

I’ve found the memory location of the video recording limit (20 minutes on the D5100) and change it to 1 minute to allow for faster testing.

Here’s a really exciting video where is stops record after 1 minute with no user involvement.

[Update 40 minutes later]

The D3100 10 minute limit has been located, and the D7000 20 minute limit has also been located.

[Update 30th March]

Here’s a screen snap of a 25:59 minute video (1080P 30fps @18mbps) I just recorded on my D5100. At lowest quality settings (424 30fps @4mbps) it says I can record 59minutes of video, so I assume the it doesn’t display hours because 1h 59m @4mbp is 3.5GB which is around the size of my ~26m video.

[Update 1st April]
Patch available from here:

[Update 24th April] A web-browser cross platform patch tool is also available.

Interested in more, come join the us at Nikon Hacker, or use the Online Patch Tool (Help)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Nikon D5100 Video Record Time Limit Found

1. Gab says:

Hey good job! Is it possible that this means endless video recording for the 3100 and 7000 too?

2. Simeon says:

Should do. I don’t see why they would solve the same problem in different ways.

3. Simeon says:

Just found the 10 minute limit in the D3100, so it’s very possible

4. Ataa says:

Good news, Thank you for the update Simeon.

5. loki says:

Hi, that’s cool!
    Could you check about video shutter speed on D3100?
    And maybe some way to increase video recording quality?

6. Alex says:

That’s awesome!!
    Could you upload a custom firmware with this feature implemented?
    That would be great :D

7. Simeon says:

Working on patch tool to avoid distributing full binary.

8. Pingback: Weekly Nikon news flash #156 | Nikon Rumors

9. hq says:

Simeon- fantastic job. I don’t own a video DSLR, and don’t know much about them. However, would longer recording harm the sensor in any way? (e.g. higher temperature?) and would higher temperature affect the video picture quality in any way? (e.g. more noise?)

10. hilarion says:

Good Job Simeon,
    But I agree with you that the video limitation is not so important, there are things more important for nikon d5100/d7000 like:
    - manual controls over video function
    - image size function in shooting menu that enables 16:9 format in still photography
    We all depend on you. You’re the man.

11. Mark says:

Hey Simeon- awesome work finding that specific command.

Is there any chance to find a similar fix for the D300s? I know the firmware hasn’t been decrypted as of yet, but I would definitely save up and give you guys some dough for the hard work.

12. Joe Horvath says:

You are exactly right on those points, it has been an issue on some cameras in warm conditions. The import duty on video devices cuts off at 29:59 so I would assume that a manufacturer limit below that was for technical reasons, not just to get around the tax. Either way, it’s nice to have the option of longer record times, good work!

13. Anton says:

Definitely.
    There is a limit for this very reason.

14. izuwan says:

cool… i hope you can also change the limit of the d300s. that would be awsome

15. Dominik says:

My D3s is limited to 5 minutes only in HD format. 20 minutes will be so cool ! A dream…. ;)

16. Simeon says:

D300s firmware is decrypted. I had a quick look, but didn’t find the code/method D5100/D3100/D7000 uses to limit video.

17. Michael Rodriguez says:

What about being able to get the D7000 to record in 60fps?

18. Mark says:

That is so awesome.

I am just very curious, from your expert knowledge, would it be in any way possible to find the firmware values for certain keys that control things like which commands each button is linked to, (I.E- change the zoom buttons to lock and enter, more like the D200′s controls?).

Or would it be possible to add a function that would switch to a specific ISO? I.E. one of the buttons automatically sets ISO to 1600? I would save up and pay you big bucks for that one lol :D.

19. Ed Long says:

Have you been able to decrypt the d90? I would love more functionality not just photo wise but definitely video wise. Would be willing to donate for all time and effort. 5 min limit is very annoying. Thank you.

20. Simeon says:

Hi Ed,

We have not yet found a process to dump firmware from the camera, and Nikon have not released a firmware update, so we have nothing to work with.

Comments are closed.