Feed Issues

There’s something wrong with Google Feed Sync (via FeedDemon) as compared to NewsGator’s deprecated service.

Over the last few months none of my own post have been showing up, so last week I logged into Google Reader and Ta-Da, 5 new posts, that were found “just now” in Google Reader, and then they appeared in FeedDemon.

But another issue with only using aggregation tools is that people keep changing there back-end blog engines and therefore break the feed link, thus they fall out of the news loop (Conor, Rowan),¬† so once you discover this and change to the new feed URL, you’ve lost news.

Quite annoying.

Then there is sites that just disappear. Like Community Hacker, but while searching for it I found a new bot AI challenge site called hacker.org so its not all lost.

Cool Office Stuff

One of the things I’ve enjoyed about my current office, is all the neat stuff people have at their desks.

The Nixie tube clock

Nixie-Tube-Clock

Or the Trimble GPS PCB clock

Trimble-Gps-Clock

Or the great wall-of-cola

Wall-of-Cola

which was bigger until administration told him to go no higher… then there is also lots of Lego, all-n-all it’s a fun place to be..

Update: videos of the two clocks

Read the credits first

The other day James was showing me around QGit, how to do blames, review logs, etc and we were trying to get it to use Beyond Compare as an external diff tool (C:/Progra~1/Beyond~1/BComp.exe /ro %1 %2)

Things were behaving funky, after lots of trouble and lots of swearing I said “who wrote this sh#t” and then “maybe I should just check first”

James laughed as I press the about dialogue

git about dialogue

Opps!

James said he only supplied a small patch, but it was pretty funny still.

The issue we were seeing was that sometime the difference would show the file as identical content, and sometime with differences.

It turned out that in one revision I would select file_a then after clicking on a different revision, pressing Ctrl-D would show the difference for the same file_a even if the second revision did not have changes for that file, therefore there was no difference to display. Took us a while to notice this.

Curse of the Azure Bonds – build 1.0.21

Build 1.0.21 has been released. Fixed in this version:

  • Issue 36, Fixed staff-sling weapon targeting
  • Issue 44, Fixed the modify player screen so edits to exceptional strength stay
  • Issue 45, Fixed the Order menu (found off Encamp, Alter), so you can select and place the party members
  • Issue 46, Fixed horizontal menu scroll via comma and dot keys

I also reworked how the combat engine builds target lists, and intend to change it to an A* system, but at this point it is a direct path cost based system, so I added a caching layer, and when all graphic’s and sounds turned off (non commented change) the combat is over in sub-second.

To do this  I hacked the game apart to dynamically turn graphics/sound/delays off, and then used the Red Gate Ant Performance Profiler to find the overworked code and it worked really well. I cheated and just used their 14-day trail version. But I did provide some feedback, and it has some really nice features like the ability to zoom to parts of the run history, and give guidance on hotspots, and you can drill down and see the code related to the CPU time. Check it out if your application is running a little slow.

As always, give the newer version a try, if you find any issues, even “old known” issues, let me know by: commenting here, email me directly, or add them to the issue list