CoAB code now on Google Code

I have decided to host my coab SVN repositry on Google Code, as it provides off-site backup, and I don’t feel the code has any trade secrets.

While there are parts of the code that shame me deeply, I am not too concerned as this is a work in progress. I would prefer to get the project further along, so feel this will help that goal.

The project is coab – Curse of the Azure Bonds, you can browse the code, or download it.

Also of interest is the Wikipedia Curse of the Azure Bonds page.

Weird Al is the best.

From a few peoples blogs I found Weird Al’s White and Nerdy video/song. Both are equal parts of brilliance.

I showed Michaela at home last night and we ended watching Weird Al videos for about half an hour.

In order of ROTFL:

White and Nerdy

Eat it

Amish Paradise

Sega Begins*

Like A Surgeon

Gump

Fat

Smells Like Nirvana

Christmas At Ground Zero*

Living With A Hernia*

I Love Rocky Road*

*Found once went searching, In fact I found so many when I went search that I had to stop watching them, just so I could post this. He certainly has been a busy boy.

The Evils of Visual Basic 6.0

Well I’m not expecting to rock anybodies boat with that earth shattering statement. But a VB project is truly an evil beast. At some point the Microsoft VB developers must have thought “we can force upgrades by linking to whatever version we find on the dev PC”. The effect of this is that one of our legacy app’s that pushes data into a Access 2000 db, current requires Access 2003 if you launch from the VB app, compared to only needed Access 2000 if you double clicking the .mdb from explorer.

This is evil, and comes from the mind set of “solo developers” hacking apps. It has taken a while solve so my build scripts don’t brake due to the .dll layout/versions changes as different people (just two of us really) check in changes. I’ve taken to coping the .dll to a sub directory of the project, and manually inspecting the project file to check VB has not changed .dll location, after/before check-ins.

Now I know the cause of the problem, I can fix the app to use the Access 2000 .dll, and then use the Access 2000 Run-time installer, but only when full Access 2000 or 2003 is not installed, because it changes how the other two installs work. Grrrrr.

I am very much looking forward to migrating some tools/apps to a unified solution whether that is C++, MFC C++, Delphi, or .Net. They are all much better platforms than VB.

Underwater Hockey National Interclubs

Last Friday and Saturday was the New Zealand Interclubs, and we where hosting the event down at QEII. The primary result we can fifth equal in the A grade, out of seven teams. Two team completely beat us PX Just Right and SP8’s the next two teams beat us but the games where very close and the score difference come in lucky breaks. Many time we where in the oppositions goal, and just couldn’t complete the transaction. The last two team we beat

I learnt (via setting up) the scoring computers and TV displays, and spent a lot of time on Saturday on the score desk, as our ranking meant we where not in the semi’s. I also did some water referring, and some chef referee.

The party on Saturday night was a blast, and the clean-up went quickly. 100 pizza’s where ordered from Big Pizza’s, and that many pizza box’s stacked looks huge. Music was provided by Wolfman Entertainment, and he keep the mood buzzing and the dance floor packed.

The bruises haven’t all healed, but they are fading.